The benefits of lightweight concrete have long been established in major construction projects around the world including buildings, spans and floating structures:
- structure design benefits from a substantial decrease in overall weight for example, less foundations (or more floors for the same foundations).
- longer spans mean more developable space.
- insulating properties can yield much improved performance and/or thinner elements depending upon design mix.
- efficient handling (reduced craneage) and haulage of lighter elements.
- trials have demonstrated interesting possibilities for architectural finishes
- superior thermal and acoustic insulation properties.
The principle applications for novagg® lightweight aggregate are in
construction. This sector is increasingly using ‘green’ procurement for materials. Sustainable novagg® is ideal for
- lightweight concrete (pre-cast and in-situ)
- lightweight concrete blocks
- lighweight screeds
- lightweight geotechnical fills
- great potential in offshore windpower - lightweight concrete masts